Submitted: 11-10-2010 by JMD

I'm 74 years old. 6 feet 4 inches tall & weigh 205 pounds. I had a Perception Captiva 16 foot with rudder for 10 years & loved it. As I got older it became harder to lift to my car top. Looking for something lighter I bought a Hurricane Santee 116. Had to remove footrests for leg room. This didn't work, so I bought a Tampico 140L with rudder. It was light, but paddled heavy. It felt like pushing a plow through water. It seemed reluctant to turn & the rounded bottom lacked the stability I want. The raised deck gives more leg room, but makes it hard to reach the bow rigging. Used it 6 times & traded it for the Expedition 140. This is what I've been looking for.

It tracks great & feels light. The bow rises to meet waves & the cockpit stays dry, even with the 38 inch opening. The extra 2 1/2 inches in width allows me to carry my camera bag between my legs. I can paddle with my legs straight out. The rudder works very easy. The bow rigging is closer & easy to reach.

Hurricane builds beautiful boats with attention to detail. I'm 74 & if I keep this one 10 years it will be my last.

New York Kayak Co.: