Submitted: 11-10-2010 by fanopoe

I have a RAM-X 14.5 (Pelican/Coleman). I spent last weekend out on Lake Jocassee with it and had no problems whatsoever. That though, is due in part to some lessons I've learned. Namely, since I'm paddling solo, I added 3 50# bags of sand in the bow to balance my weight in the stern. This kept the bow down so the wind couldn't spin me around as easily as it had before. I also have learned more paddling strokes and can paddle one side of the canoe and still move straight.

I bought this canoe because it was inexpensive and big enough for the whole family. It IS heavy, but I built a block and tackle system that allows me to easily hang it in my garage. Loading and unloading is a matter of leverage and proper lifting techniques. I would not want to portage this a long way though. It is great for shuttling the little ones out on the water and/or fishing from.