Submitted: 11-08-2010 by cropduster
This is the first kayak I've built. It weighs 37 pounds which is not bad for a 16 foot boat. I can carry it with one hand which is kind of nice getting in and out of the water. It tracks like it is on a rail and never needs a sweep stoke even in 20-25 MPH winds. Just a little edging keeps it going where you are headed. It is definitely necessary to lean and edge turn it.

Initial stability is okay but secondary is solid. First time kayakers will find it a little tippy getting in for the first time but will quickly get used to it.

I am 5'8" and 175 pounds and the cockpit is just right for me. I built foot rest's and attached them to the gunwales which cause my feet to stick up higher than they should. On my next boat I'm going to attach them to the chine stringer which should help with this. Some builders have raised the deck a little and this might be a good idea if you have big feet.

We live a mile from the Mississippi River which is like a monster waiting to get you, or so most people that live here think. We've been on four river trips since the end of August including the Phatwater challenge which is a 42 mile race. Each time the boat handled extremely well only getting me wet one day when crossing a dike.

My impressions are very positive for the Sea Tour. In fact I'm currently building another one. My only complaint is it's not as fast as I would like for it to be. Might just be me.