Submitted: 11-05-2010 by BMT

I needed a light weight "grab and go" yak for my fleet of fishing yaks. After having used the Redfish 10 and OK Prowler 11, I acquired a Tarpon 100. I have now fished it in some decent chop and wind in south Louisiana bays and it has become my favorite small yak to chase redfish and specks.

The Tarpon 100 tracks straighter than any other short yak I have paddled. The new seat lacks much padding, but it has so many adjustments that I found I could fish five or more hours without my butt going numb on me. The stability is very good; not a floating pier like my larger yaks, but very decent indeed. The speed will not set any records, but it is actually much faster that I expected for a short yak, about the same as my Prowler 13 when loaded with fishing gear. Short fishing rods (5'6") will fit in the hatch by the seat if pointed to the stern.

It is a dry yak with the scupper plugs in. It tracks exceptionally well and even has some decent glide to it which is rare for such a short yak. It did not weathervane in stronger winds. And it fits easily in the bed of my Tacoma truck. Easy to load and unload even in windy conditions. If you are looking for a shorter grab and go yak, the Tarpon 100 is very hard to beat. I am 6 feet tall and weight 190 pounds at 64 years of youth. I am pretty well fit for a fossil so more youthful or female paddlers will find the Tarpon 100 ideal for play or fishing. I previously had the older model of Tarpon 100 and the new one is considerably better in my opinion. Given its price and forgiving paddling characteristics, it is now very high on my list of very good fishing yaks.