Submitted: 11-03-2010 by Garrett

I bought a 2010 Tempest 170 in May 2010. Since then I have paddled it several hundred miles on day trips and on multiday trips. The longest trip so far was a 7 day backcountry adventure in the Adirondacks of NY.

The more I challenge this boat, the more it impresses me. Whether fully packed with camping gear or nearly empty, this boat paddles fast. It tracks well without the skeg, but can still turn better than most boats several feet shorter. With the skeg down it tracks like an arrow.

This boat handles the chop and swells of the Atlantic Ocean with ease. And glides on the glass like a rowing shell. The versatility is just amazing.

The cockpit could be a touch more spacious, as my 6'1" 220 frame cannot enter butt first. Always needing to go feet first, while balancing on the deck behind the cockpit is a bit tough at times. I do wish the back band offered higher support, and that the seat could be adjusted fore and aft on the fly.

The capacity of the hatches is fairly impressive, but of course, the skeg eats valuable space. But the advantages over a rudder outweigh this issue. I was happy to learn that a bear canister fits in the stern bulkhead. And again, I do wish the cockpit box was a bit larger, especially in the foot area. It is too tight for me to fit large shoes on my size 13 feet. Only thin water shoes will fit.

About a month in, I did have a foam bulkhead leak between the cockpit and day hatch. But the manufacturer mailed me some adhesive that addressed the problem instantly. They blamed the shipping process, but it appears that additional adhesive from start would also have helped.

The deck has a compass well for a permanent install. But it is so far forward on the deck, I could not read the compass. The rigging is certainly decent, but a better paddle stow setup would have been a nice touch. I would also have liked a bilge pump option from the factory. The cockpit coaming isn't quite aggressive enough, so water comes in a bit more than I'd like, even with a full neoprene skirt on.

But all in all, this boat inspires confidence, and makes me want to get on the water and paddle. And the value was great as I bought it on a 20% off sale in tax free DE.