Submitted: 11-01-2010 by Shawn Waddell

I have had this kayak for 3 years and I would never sell it. It is the best all around kayak that I have ever used. It has a decent rocker up front and a bit of an edge in the back. This lets it track decently while still being able to manage big waves. I have had it in some hairy 3+ whitewater and it has great secondary stability for this kind of kayak. My friend can even roll it, but my technique is not quite there. This is due to the kayak's fairly slender width.

This kayak comes with a drop down skeg that I only use on lakes. I usually have it totally removed from my boat and it track pretty well. The dry hatch stays dry, the seat is comfy, the foot braces work fine and a sprayskirt is a must in moving water. I also added front flotation It is not the fastest boat or the most stable boat, but It IS the best mix of everything in my opinion. I use it in mostly class 1-3 rivers and creeks but I have used it in dead flat water and in the ocean with good results.

I really wished that they still make these! The Necky Manitou is basically the same boat, but it has no rocker in the front and it is a little wider. I give it a 9 because it is the best kayak for multiple water conditions.

Pros:
  • Secondary stability
  • Dry and comfy ride with a skirt
  • Ability to handle multiple water conditions

Cons:

• Length(a con for moving water not flatwater)
  • No thigh hooks
  • A bit slow for it's length
(other boats that I own or have owned: Old town Dirigo, Dagger Blackwater,Torrent, AIRE Lynx Strike2, Pyranha h3, freefall LT, Wild World K2