Submitted: 10-29-2010 by paraglia

This is my first inflatable. Quality of construction is very good, materials are tough. It's very easy and quick to put together - about 10 minutes. I found paddling this little kayak, at just 10', a real pleasure.

Stability is comparable to a hardshell. Novices should take into consideration this if they looking for a "stable" kayak. Just like any hardshell all the safety equipment and the skills are required. A pump, the Safari is self-bailing, and a paddlefloat are not necessary. I noticed some weathercocking with each paddle stroke but now I have learned to compensate with a steeper paddle angle.

Like with all hardshells the paddler must practice re-entries. Although it's easier to re-enter the Safari I recommend practicing this skill. The lack of a closed cockpit makes re-boarding a relatively simple procedure. Speed is good... for a 10' kayak that is. It keeps going along without complaining and without much need of corrective strokes.

The only issue I have is that I wish Innova updated the inflation valves to the new type, as they have with their double kayak, the Sunny. Overall, I'm very happy with the Safari. I highly recommend it as a fun little kayak for day paddles in oceans, lakes and rivers.