Submitted: 10-27-2010 by mbob63

I recently purchased a Hurricane Santee Expedition 128 for flat water use. I have a Liquid Logic Remix XP10 that I use for whitewater conditions. I bought the XP10 first but wasn't happy with it's flat water performance. Here is my opinion on the 128's characteristics:

Manufacturing - The Hurricane boat appears to be well made. I could not find any problems or flaws with the boat's construction. The hardware appears to be of good quality except for the seat adjusting pull cords which look like an afterthought.

Stability - This boat feels tippy initially. Part of it may be the large cockpit and lack of thigh braces and hip pads. The secondary stability is very good however as this boat can be put on edge when desired.

Performance - This boat feels fast to me. It accelerates easily and maintains it's speed. The 128 has more glide than the recreational kayaks and the whitewater kayaks I have paddled. In terms of handling, it turns well for a boat of this length. It won't turn like a whitewater kayak, but then again, I didn't expect it to.

Comfort - The seat and it's position are comfortable for me. I'm 5'11" and weigh 190lbs. There is plenty of room for a larger paddler.

Appearance - The 128 looks good. In my opinion, it looks much better than a polyethylene kayak. People frequently mistake it for a composite boat. I have had many complements already. We will see about durability over time.

Rough water performance - I took this boat out a river mouth into Lake Superior on a day with 3 foot waves. It performed very well in breaking through the surf keeping me reasonably dry. I have seen longer boats perform worse in the surf as they cut through the waves instead of going over them. Out beyond the breakers the ride was smooth and stable and the boat tracked well despite strong winds. The only negative for me in the rough water was the lack of hip and thigh pads that could of helped me control the boat while adding to my sense of security. In 3 foot waves or higher, I will stick with my XP10 that excels in rough conditions.

Conclusion - The Hurricane Expedition 128 is a good value for someone who wants a recreational cockpit with a fast hull. It appears to be a good value for the money. I would recommend it based on my experience.