Submitted: 10-27-2010 by Steve

I just bought a new 2008 model Ride 135 with factory rudder on closeout at a dealer. The boat is super. It handles really well with or without the rudder. Since it is wide, the Ride takes a couple of strokes to get going, but then the kayak's glide makes up for the slow start.

The Ride is super stable, so I thought it would be super slow. To me the yak does not feel slow at all. It is not close to being as fast as my wife's Pungo 140, but seems fast enough. With rubber golf balls in the scuppers, I had a perfectly dry ride.

I agree that the seat bottom needs more padding. After a few hours out I started to get a bit uncomfortable, so I pulled a cushion out of the dry hatch and solved the problem for the rest of the day. The height adjustment on the backrest slipped a couple of times. I might be ordering one of those 2010 replacement backrests. We will see.

The Ride 135 is perfect for fishing. It has a huge capacity and lots of room for coolers, crates, tackle boxes, etc. I like the grooves in the bow to place your rod tip while rigging the line. Another nice touch is the wealth of bungees located in strategic places.

Wilderness Systems quality is evident in the fit and finish of this yak. My good friend has two Ride 135s and swears by them. I am glad that I listened to his advice.