Submitted: 10-18-2010 by Ben

I'm here mostly cuz I'm bumping around kayak reviews in general, with the bad itch to build another Pygmy. I completed my triple 3 years ago. It took me way longer than the Pygmy suggested 100 hours or so to build. But, it is totally a gorgeous dream boat. It's embarrassing, all the adulation it gets. I can tell others are gawking even from their cars on the freeway.

It's wonderful that it is so light -- super easy to put on the car compared to our old canoe. It's great to be in the same boat as my wife, so if I feel like paddling more than she does, we don't get separated; we stay on the same trip! And, no concern at all for paddle clacking. Great to dump gear (or a 3rd person) in the middle cockpit. I have a rudder and consider that a must for such a long boat, and no downsides.

I have fair experience with glass/wood and mine came out right on 64lbs all up with seats and rudder. Squeegee all that excess epoxy out! (an old credit card works very well) I will soon carve out time to make either a Tern 14 to play in the waves, or the soon to be released Murrelet speed skate. Tough decision!

Ally Folding Canoes: