Submitted: 10-14-2010 by wa1dh

I bought my Cape Horn used, an early 2000s model from what I understand. I have paddled it mostly on protected ocean waters and some open bays with 3' swells and some breaking surf.

For a beginner paddler, it has felt very stable even in surf. It does weathercock somewhat in moderate winds, but this is easily corrected with the rudder. The seat is not the most comfortable, but I have paddled for up to four hours without a problem.

The only negative things I can really say about it involve the day hatch and its weight. The day hatch cover can be tight and hard to remove at times. Although I have read specs with weights in the 50s, the plastic Cape Horn weights in slightly over 60 lbs as measured by myself on a scale. It can be difficult to lift and load on a car solo, and would be even more difficult to get on a van or SUV. Some sort of rolling rack system would be ideal for a tall vehicle. Also, if moving it more than a few feet from the car to the water, it may be wise to either build or buy some sort of kayak cart. I built one out of PVC and rubber wheels which fits in the stern hatch while underway.