Submitted: 10-08-2010 by soundchaser

The CD Vision 150 is the largest of the Vision line and their top "hybrid" or crossover model. Weighing in at a comfortable 45lbs, a weight my wife can easily handle. At 5'10" 180lbs, it was a perfect fit for me, but I was left with the impression that anything bigger than size 10 feet might start to get cramped due to the low deck profile of 12". There is more than ample leg room for much taller paddlers but, the extension beyond the foot pedals was far too generous cutting down on forward storage space - a short coming of this craft. There is probably a good 6" past my fully extended legs before the bulkhead - way too much wasted space which could be used for much needed storage.

The 15' version has an excellent ratio of length vs width allowing for good efficiency and decent speed, but certainly not up to par with a fast, full fledged sea kayak. An easy going, relaxed paddle rate was equivalent to a fast paced walk. A steady paddle rate of 60 to 70 strokes per minute would probably equal a slow jog. (calm water) I am very satisfied with the efficiency of this yak. It reaches cruising speed quite fast and has decent glide characteristics.

As a novice I am limited in my ability to render an in-depth review, but I would rate the initial stability as good and secondary stability as very good. The craft handled well in 2' swells and white caps-- confidence inspiring for a relative novice. The rudder is a great accessory but, there can be a tendency to over use it as a substitute for good technique. While you certainly don't need it to track straight, it does help on turns. Perhaps this is why it is standard on the 150 series and an option on the shorter 140 model.

There was a very, very small amount of water which managed to leak through the rear bulkhead, probably through the steering lines. This occurred in rough water and while I would have preferred a perfectly dry compartment, it was not enough to concern me. The front hatch which was continually bombarded and at times submerged in water was bone dry, probably due to the double hatch cover.

Positives:
  • Good efficiency, decent speed.
  • Good glide and start up speed.
  • Very good overall handling characteristics.
  • Feather weight, solid construction.
  • Well balanced proportions due to a slightly longer length.
  • The best tracking model in the Vision line, & Sleek good looks - that's important!

Negatives:

• Made in China (didn't know that at the time of purchase)
  • Rather cheap seat though it is comfortable.
  • Limited storage, probably only good for weekends.
  • No day hatch (a good thing when you have limited bulkhead storage)
  • Needs a paddle holder and a drink holder. (a water bottle 'pouch' on a spray skirt would be ideal)
  • Foot pedal steering as opposed to a high end dog pedal where your feet are locked.
While I love the craft, I should say that this is not my dream boat. I purchased it because it fit me perfectly, weighed next to nothing, looked sleek and pretty and I bought it used at a good price trusting the 'Current Designs' name. The 8/10 rating reflects it's grading for the class of kayak it represents - "hybrid" not sea kayak class.