Submitted: 10-06-2010 by pbabler

I purchased one when they first became available in Seattle in 2008. I was lured by the design which I thought was excellent. It is a hard-chined, greenland-style boat that offers excellent initial and secondary stability. I could 'park' the boat on edge and pull off low-brace turns with ease. Rolling was easy enough, but not effortless. Tracking and turning were excellent. Speed was marginal... neither fast nor slow. The overall boat was comfortable, and well thought out. Special touches such as the carbon fiber skeg put the boat in a higher category of quality.... or so I thought.

The fiberglass layup that I received from the factory felt much lighter and thinner than the boat I had demo-ed. On the water, the flat front hull would pound on the waves and it felt like the boat was going to come apart at any minute. There seemed to be something lacking in the quality of the construction... the frame layup was simply too thin. If you are ordering the boat from the factory, I would recommend a heavier lay-up if you plan to do more advanced paddling in rough conditions.

Within three months of use, the cockpit coaming completely blew out. The dealer honored the warranty and had it fixed, but the fit was never quite right after that (the leg bracing is integrated into the coaming). Frustrated, I sold the boat and spent a little extra money in an NDK Romany. I am much happier with my Romany.

Seda's boats are built in Mexico. That is not to say that is a bad thing, but the quality (or perhaps the consistency) was not there.

Danuu Fishing Seats: