Submitted: 09-29-2010 by Jeff

My wife and I are first timers to kayaking. We purchase two Pungo 120's one for each of us and really did not know what to expect at $600.00 each. We found out that is a GREAT PRICE.

Our 1st experience my wife got in and I pushed her off from shore a bit more aggressive than I should have. I thought oh no I am going to hear about it. Much to my surprise she took to it like a duck to water. I got in and I must say it is more stable than I had expected. We took it easy the first day just going around the shore of our 250 acre lake. At the end of the day she liked it but was not sold if she liked it enough to keep them. A few weeks later a friend invited us to paddle down the Namagogan River in Northern Wisconsin with his wife and kid's. I must say it was a successful day and a real confidence booster for both of us. Now we go to larger lakes with boat traffic with out much fear of large waves.

I must say the Pungo 120 handles very well and stable. We do not feel tippy or do we get wet. We do have the dash on ours and we like it very much. Great for storing a small camera, wallet, money, keys and keeps them dry as a bone. The external net bag is great for sun screen or bug spray. This past season we took them out about 8 times and enjoyed every trip. My wife is more interested in going kayaking without any hesitation.

Actually, I like it more than our canoe and never pulled the canoe out for one trip this year at our cabin. The Pungo 120 seat is so much better than the web seating in the canoe easier to paddle, stuff stays dryer, more forgiving, and I am less worried about tipping. I feel much more relaxed and comfortable. I must say we are keeping them. The dealer gave us a 30 day bring them back if we don't like them for a 100% refund. Needless to say we did not take him up on his offer

I do not see us as getting into camping or long over night trips with them even though they would be great. We use then for recreational paddling and for the seeing and photographing wild life in Northern Wisconsin. We did not get all fancy with the racking systems. We just keep the seats out of our mini van all summer and just slide them in the back and tie down the lid. I bought a foam noodle at the dollar store cut it down the center half way thru and slip it on the bottom of the gate. Works great and does not scratch up the kayaks. I back up to a launching ramp and slide them out one at a time. easy as can be. Just do the same loading up. No heavy lifting and its fast and super easy to get them in and out of the water.
I give them a 10 out of 10.