Submitted: 09-20-2010 by Dave007

My first paddle was an Aqua Bound - inexpensive and a great beginners paddle (will keep), but on my strong side the paddle blade began to bend where it attached to the shaft. After trying another paddle from another kayaker and how it felt stronger, I decided to do some research. Started researching different companies and size of blades/paddles. Putting cost and what paddlers where saying, I ended up purchasing a Werner Sidekick. The blades are big. It made doing double pumps much easier. Another kayaker said when I did the double pump using the new paddle I made it look easy and effortless. When rolling (once I got used to the 0 degree's - I've always wanted one - from the 30 degree's I was used too) it felt like I was gripping a rock and it helped make rolling even easier. This blade is big, if you have good upper body strength this is your paddle. If not, get a smaller blade like the Werner Player is. This paddle is 34 ounces very few paddles are lighter than this one.

Botetourt County Tourism: