Submitted: 09-13-2010 by Natalie
For a while, I debated getting a Hobie Sport and eventually took the plunge. I'm so glad I did, because I love this little boat!
I am a woman, 5'5" and 120 lb. I don't have a lot of upper body strength, so the 48 lb. hull just about maxes out my limit for lifting. Luckily, I can fit the boat in the back of my SUV, and I bought the optional cart for transporting it from my car to launching sites.

The Mirage Drive pedaling system is the main selling point of this boat, in my opinion. My first outing on this boat lasted 3 hours and I left energized (and I am not a regular exerciser). You also stay 100% dry while pedaling, and if you're careful, you can peddle almost silently. This is great for wildlife viewing, compared to paddles waving all over the place. Paddling is also fun, but I recommend leaving the rudder down because it helps the boat track straighter. When I brought the rudder up, I seemed to get nowhere while paddling.

The boat is incredibly stable and comfortable. The cushioned seat is awesome. I can't wait to add the optional sail when I get out on more open waters. Although you don't go as fast as you would in an Adventure Island, it sounds like a blast!!

The only downside to this boat is the relatively low weight limit, and the price tag. Ultimately, I am so glad I went with the Sport because it is exactly what I wanted; however, it is rather "gadgety" for a boat and I worry that its lifespan will be short. From what I've heard, the Mirage Drive and rudder system require regular maintenance to keep them working smoothly. I hope to get years of enjoyment out of this boat!

Katadyn: