Submitted: 09-10-2010 by Jim Duffy

Just bought a Tampico 140L. This is my 5th kayak. I'm 74 years old. I had a Perception Captiva 16 feet long with rudder for 9 years. I loved it but I got weaker & after paddling for 3 or 4 hours my arms were too weak to lift it up to the roof cradle. I"m 6 feet 4 inches tall & weigh 200 pounds. Looking for a light weight boat I tried a Hurricane Santee 116. It didn't track worth a damn & I had to remove the foot rests for leg room. Bought a Tampico 140L with rudder. It tracks almost as good as my Captiva did. Into the wind & about 30 degrees off bow the handling is great. 45 to 90 degrees it's hard getting used to the round bottom. I prefer a hard molded seat & miss the thigh braces.

Some control is missing. The rudder works great. the light weight is the selling point. I go most of the time where there are no people around & can lift it easily to my roof. I've been practicing leaning into turns & it doesn't seem so reluctant to turn. the 38 inch cockpit & raised deck make it easier to get these creaky old legs in & out. It feels heavy through the water & my paddle turnover is slower. But over a measured course of 60 minutes it is only about 1 minute slower. Following seas are harder to surf with the rounded hull & my abs get a real workout. I'll keep this one a while.

Balance Solutions, LLC: