Submitted: 09-09-2010 by xaos29

***Update*** Perhaps I was premature in my first review. Since I bought the Future Beach Fusion 124, I have done much exploring on the Hudson River (from Newburgh to Iona Island at Bear Mountain State Park), as well as the mouth of Moodna Marsh in Cornwall and Popolopen Creek in Fort Montgomery.

I have been hit with breakers, and the kayak did not swamp. One day, I traveled from Cornwall-on-Hudson to Constitution Island and West Point, to Bannerman's Island, and back to Cornwall Landing. Another day, I paddled from the Landing to the Newburgh/Beacon Bridge and back. Anywhere I want to go I have gone with this 10'4" kayak, and I do not fear for my life. If you know the Hudson, you know World's End can get dicey, and I've had no problems.

Future Beach has made a good starter boat that is stable and roomy. However, after 3 or 4 hours, one becomes painfully aware of the poor seat design. Fortunately, the wide cockpit allows for both sitting Indian Style and stretching one's legs over the sides.

Future Beach ought to consider developing a 14' kayak to compete with the Wilderness Systems Pungo 140 and the Perception Tribute 14. If the company builds such a recreational kayak, I would buy one.

The sea kayak folk mean well, but after hearing "you can't take that boat on the Hudson" time and again, I would like to say "I already have, and will do it again".