Submitted: 07-31-2000 by William Tyson

Picked up my Nantucket about 2 weeks ago. Have tried it on glassy calm to 2 foot powerboat chop and find the boat to be very stable, very little tip. For reference, I would classify myself as an intermediate kayaker. Tracking is good without the rudder and excellent with the rudder. My boat had good workmanship and seems to be a great performer for the money. For those not familar with this boat it is currently the largest in Old Towns' "Recreational/Touring" line with front and rear bulkheads. This boat is a compromise between a true touring boat and a stable, recreational craft. I tried one roll and got it to come back up on the second try, although I would recommend not getting going over in the first place. OT seems to have hit their mark and I would recommend this boat for anyone who would like to step up from recreational day trips to weekend or possibly even weeklong outings. The hatch seal is very good and their size is large enough for most camping gear. I had reservations on not having a padded seat (i.e. like some of the Perception boats) but find the seat to be comfortable for paddles up to 3 hours so far. My boat also did not come with paddle holder as advertised and my rudder cable exits need to be reselaed. All things considered this boat paddles easily and tracks great with the rudder (i.e. get the rudder). I'm giving the boat a nine due to the lack of the paddle holder and the bad seal on the rudder cable exits, otherwise it's a ten. No problems YET on the foam bullkhoads although I know they'll need resealed eventually. Hey OT, try welded plastic bulkheads, I'd pay the extra money for that feature!