Submitted: 09-08-2010 by yacom

I had the opportunity to paddle the Atlantis Titan on a Canadian West Coast adventure and I have to say that I was very pleased with the boat. There are no construction flaws on that boat, the quality is amazing. The boat is very stable even in rough conditions, tracks very well and the cockpit is big enough to allow performing a west coast entry if needed. Fully loaded with gear, it turns easily when edging, I barely use the rudder on that trip since the boat tracked well in all conditions. I found out that the rear of the cockpit is a little bit high, no way to lean back for a potential combat roll, meanwhile, the boat is easy to roll unloaded (the VI version has a lower back). I have to admit that Atlantis will have to come up with a better seat system. The fiberglass seat is not comfortable at all; I just wanted to get out of the boat after only 30 minutes paddling it. I agree with SWS, the edges of the seat pan really make your voyage unpleasant. That would be the only reason why I wouldn't buy that boat. One good thing about the seat, it can be removed for cleaning. After being swept by a wave, I had a lot of sand in the cockpit and it was very easy to clean by just removing the seat pan. If Atlantis redesigns its seat system, I would consider the Titan to be my next expedition boat, probably the VI version.

Score: 10/10 for quality, craftsmanship, performance, seaworthiness, maneuverability. 2/10 for seat comfort