Submitted: 09-07-2010 by Faulkner

The Pamlico 100 is one of three different kayaks I bought last winter for me and my two sons. The Pam 100 is the best of the three for calm water touring and class I rapids. The rear storage area bulkhead is not fully water proof, but after a couple of trips I added a good deal of clear silicon sealer on both sides of the bulkhead and it's pretty much 99% leak free, but I still put items that need to be kept dry in a dry bag. The Orbix Stern Hatch does seem to be 100% water tight. The storage area also gives a good bit of floatation should you swamp the kayak.

This kayak is very comfortable even after a long day of paddleing and the knee pads are a plus. It tracks extremely well. The cockpit is pretty large at 47.5 x 22. The large cockpit has it's positives and negatives. On the plus side, it's big enough for my border collie to ride along with me without her being right up in my face. She had a blast on all day float on Arkansas's Buffalo River.

On the negative side, the big cockpit takes on water over the bow pretty easily. I know, it's not designed for whitewater, but I've had it in Class III's several times and though she handles well, if the bow dips under the water any at all you are going to get a lapful. You pretty much have to bank and dump after every patch of rough water. This is definitely a wet boat. (I've got a skirt coming, we'll see if that helps some).

It's a good, solid kayak. Definitely more solidly built than a Pelican or even a Old Town.