Submitted: 09-01-2010 by Shane G

I too am new to the world of kayaking, as is my family. We were looking for an activity that we could ALL do together and the 420x seemed to be the best answer for us.

All in all, I am pretty pleased with the HULLS construction. I was at first frustrated with the inflation valves, but once I gathered how they functioned, I am pleased as punch. The electric pump is not necessary (imo) as it didn't take long at all to have the boat completely inflated and ready to go. Space wise, I am able to fit me, my wife and my daughter (as well as necessary gear AND the dog) I am over 6' and the wife is a couple of inches shy, so the added length of the 420x was essential.

One thing I would suggest is to go with the DELUXE package as opposed to the PRO if you plan to have this boat on open water. The pro seats I think would be better suited for whitewater excursions as they put you LOW in the boat and it makes it a little more difficult to paddle on open water. That and the fact that the flag snaps are cheap (I broke 2 of them within the first 2 days). Of course this isn't a 'speedy' kayak but you can get and maintain comfortable speeds with 2 people in sync. (and of course the skeg is essential on flat water)

All in all, we are very pleased with our purchase of this kayak and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to one of my friends.