Submitted: 08-27-2010 by yacom

After 4 summers of paddling the boat and putting over 4000 miles, I have to admit that it is a very, very nice boat to paddle BUT, I still have to fix factory defects on the boat, defects that should have never happened.

After having to sponge tons and tons of water entering my cockpit, I examined closely all the fitting and potential places where it could be leaking. I found out that the cockpit coaming was not secured properly due to a lack of glass or glue to hold it down. It was already weak, brand new, but I did not know better at that time. My friend Robin at Atlantis kayaks offered to fix my boat. To do so, he had to remove the seat. SURPRISE! He found out that the plastic pins that hold the fabric to the seat were longer than the gap between the seat and the bottom of the boat. Result: two pin holes in the boat. Now I know why I had to sponge tons of water even on glass water. We also found these problems on a Tempest 170 pro so if your boat is taking on water, remove the seat and check out these pins, the might have created holes in your boat.
These are Little BIG things that make you wonder if I should or not recommend the Tempest 180 pro.

So if you are looking for a great, yes a GREAT boat to paddle, the Tempest series (170 and 180 pro) are probably the best boat you will ever owned but for safety and reliability, specially if you are planning to do trips in remote areas, I should think about it twice since you will never know when something might go wrong. Bring a lot of fiber glass, resin, and sikaflex and a Marine Radio.
My boat still leaks as of today!