Submitted: 08-27-2010 by kboyle3

I just bought a Pungo 12 Ultralite to replace an Old Town Otter 138T that performed well but was too heavy for me. On my maiden voyage, I paddled on a windy day from a relatively sheltered part of a big lake around the lee of an island and into 2 to 3 foot waves plus boat chop. I did not have the console because it did not come with the kayak so I was very concerned about taking in water. To my pleasant surprise, the waves washed over the deck but did not splash into the boat and I took in only about a cup of spray.

Otherwise the Pungo was very responsive and tracked and turned better than I expected, much better than the Otter. I'm 6' 215 lbs and it is so easy to get in and out of. The seat is so much more comfortable than the Otter and I love the 40 lb weight. I can easily get it in and out of the lake.
Overall, it does everything it promised and I highly recommend it.