Submitted: 08-27-2010 by Casey Monroe

I purchased a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 130T at the recommendation of Efren at SPI Kayaks. I had it narrowed down to this model and Malibu Kayaks Pro 2 Tandem. As the Wilderness was immediately available, I went with it. Efren was right when he directed me toward this model when I asked what would be a stable, fishable two or one person Kayak!

I have paddled this kayak double many times and even more as a Solo fishing Limo! From the middle position, I clip on a standard seat and have more room for gear than other single Kayaks by far! I can have my fishing crate, bait bucket, cooler, cast-net, drift net, anchor and room to move to different fishing positions!

It is very stable (dumped only once in post hurricane waves when I reached out too far to insert stake in pole - my error -- tie all gear down - lost $140 fishing rod and reel!) I have installed several flush Scotty Mounts to increase my flexibility fishing. I have fished in the dead of night in the wavy Bay solo with complete confidence of this stable fishing platform. The weight is manageable as I load and unload it solo on the top of my 97' LandCruiser.

Regarding the stock seats, some reviewers have been critical. You can add a four dollar foam sport seat (sold at Academy Sports and Outdoors) and be comfortable all day (no numb butt). I have also removed the stock backrests and simply install standard kayak seats (as I switch from solo - middle position and tandem often).

I highly recommend this model for either dedicated tandem or a solo when you may have the need to be able to go tandem once in awhile. If in South Texas, I recommend contacting Efren at SPI Kayaks (10111 W US Expressway 83 La Feria, TX) as he is AWESOME with customer service and knowledge of the sport!

10/10 in comfort, stability, flexibility (double or single), tracking and speed.