Submitted: 08-25-2010 by Tom R.

Love our Penobscot 17. It's safely taken my family (two adults and two kids) up the 92 mile Allagash River in Northern Maine...and into the Boundary Waters for 11 days across lakes big and small and down gnarly rivers with lots of rocks and beaver dams and blow overs. And we haven't had an involuntary swim yet! I find it very fast on lakes, and forgiving over river rocks. And this while loaded to the gills with gear and kids.

At 65 pounds, it's a little tough on the portages. But I couldn't find a kevlar canoe which could hold all of us that was that much lighter. The Penobscot 17 is a bit tippy initially. Like when the kids make a sudden move it always feels for a nasty second like it's early bath time. But like I said, we've never capsized, so the secondary stability must be great. Amazing tripper canoe.