Submitted: 08-23-2010 by Casey Monroe

I recently purchased a Malibu Kayaks Stealth - 12. I am the owner of four previous and current Kayaks (sold two Ocean Kayaks - Drifter and Scrambler XT to pay for Stealth 12). I also own a Malibu Mini-X (see my review - 10/10) and a Wilderness Tarpon 130T (see review 10/10). I purchased my Stealth 12 from Efren Salazar with SPI Kayaks here in South Texas (Excellent Dealer - Highly Recommend!!).

I first put the Stealth in our pool the night I purchased it to check the stability. WOW!!! It surpassed my expectations and I had a Ocean Kayak Drifter and have a Tarpon 130T (I fish solo from the middle position) and Mini-X. These are three of the wider Kayaks made. The Stealth blew them away in stability! The Mini-X comes in second but the extra length does make a difference. I could walk forward and back, in circles, etc. without getting dumped or even feeling close to getting dumped. The crazy thing is I can stand dead center on the bait hatch and it is even more stable than my feet placed out at the widest point (which is very stable)! I crawled quickly up to the front and even opened the awesome gator hatch and climbed in and then crawled to the back (not slowly) and sat in the back tank well comfortably. This thing is SOLID and STABLE.

The following day I went evening fishing and paddling in the Lower Laguna Madre (Bay - Gulf of Mexico). I was even more impressed at the stability through moderate waves. It had better glide than the other four Kayaks and tracked very well without a rudder. I am glad I went for the 12 instead of the 14 as turning was agile as well (have heard the 14 is sluggish).

I would consider this to meet all expectations as THE BEST FISHING KAYAK MADE! I would recommend without hesitation, my friend with a 2010 Tarpon 160 is jealous at the stability and ride in a 12' 4" package! No regrets on this one and if I won a prize of any Kayak in the world, I would pick another Stealth 12 without hesitation! I picked the Yellow and it is Sweet. I have had two yellow Ocean Kayaks and Malibu's yellow is crisper and looks great while being highly visible to other watercraft. Buy one with confidence that your getting the best! If in South Texas, look into calling Efren at SPI Kayaks (shop in La Feria - rentals at South Padre), he's a great dealer of many brands and I wouldn't buy from anyone else.

Swift Canoe & Kayak: