Submitted: 08-18-2010 by GLF

I recently purchased a Hobie Pursuit Kayak for almost nothing from a moving sale. I read the reviews and almost half of the comments were about the tippiness of this boat. I was apprehensive when I first took it out last Saturday because of this. I dressed to get wet. So I am happy with its weight, I can easily carry the yak and put it in my SUV. I don't have roof racks but I used the scupper hole to tie it by tie downs. I launched in the shoreline of a lake, just sat on ti and pushed myself off with my hands and paddled. Wow! There was no tippiness. I was still apprehensive and made short, shallow strokes and was conscious of my balance. After a minute, I felt comfortable and was executing strokes I learned online with no hesitation. I am so pleased with its speed, performance, stability and looks. One thing I didn't like was the amount of water it took in, maybe from the scupper hole and the water from my oars. I plan to buy a scupper hole plug to remedy the situation. I went to shore, bailed the water out and got my fishing gear and started fishing. Contrary to many reviewers, THIS IS A GOOD FISHING PLATFORM. It is stable and there are a lot of storage space for a recreational paddler. It is FAST...HAHAHA! I raced a sit in kayak and I won....on my first trip out. It might not have the latest bells and whistles but it is still a HOBIE and they are the best! It is definitely a kayak I can grow into. There is no perfect kayak but this one has SPEED and if you want to expend double the energy with no speed...buy those hunking tanks.