Submitted: 08-17-2010 by pikabike

Time for a follow-up to add something I neglected to write about in the first review.
We used those Spring Creek cradles on a 5000+ mile western road trip, with two sea kayaks loaded on the roof of a Chevy Tahoe. The kayaks stayed put very well without supertight strapping.

We only occasionally rooftop, preferring to use a trailer for most of our kayak transportation. But sometimes we cannot use the trailer (that trip was one of them). Today was another example; this paddling location prohibits trailered boats. The drive up includes a long, washboard dirt road switchbacking up (and then back down) mountain terrain. The kayaks did not move even an inch on any part of the drive, and their fiberglass hulls remained unmarked and undented. Again, we do not need to crank the straps supertight with these cradles. (We do use bow and stern painter lines.)

The long, thick, sticky rubber cradle pieces wrap partway up the sides of the hulls, giving gentle, flexible support.

I am so pleased with these cradles that I plan to order one more set to put on another vehicle's crossbars. Kudos to Spring Creek for making an excellent product. It is a shame that these are not more well-known to sea kayakers.