Submitted: 08-17-2010 by rowerwet
my dad got a yak board back around '99, since then no visit to the beach is complete without at least one of these (he has two now). For surf they are great, I can catch waves any day even the days that the surfers on York Beach, ME can't due to them being small. I have never used a yak for fishing or anywhere but the beach and that is where they shine, on days when the surf is dead I have taken them paddling out to nubble light house or just exploring the rocky coast.

My dad got the yak for another reason though, it makes a great float and boat for free diving or snorkeling, something he likes to do. You will get a wet seat using one of these, I wear a wet suit anyway surfing unless the day is over 90* so no big deal there for me. Make sure you get the rubber seat back it is more comfortable than the cloth on my dad paid extra for, for those complaining about the yawing during paddling, try shortening your paddle, my dad shortened his and it helps, plus for surf a shorter paddle seems easier for quick side to side bracing or paddling.

neither of my dads yaks seem to leak that bad, unless I am punching through a lot of waves and getting wet all the time I don't have to empty that much water, the biggest leak seems to be from the rivets that hold the tie offs. As with any plastic boat store these out of the sun or you will end up with a weak hull or a pile of plastic.