Submitted: 08-17-2010 by willowleaf
We just picked up an XT-15 for my boyfriend so we would both have folding kayaks to take on trips in his two-seater plane. I've been a Feathercraft owner for 8 years, currently on my third, a Wisper, so I am a fan of quality folders and well familiar with their assembly and performance. This Pakboat gets the thumbs up from me. Assembly is very simple and does not require the "kayak yoga" of half wriggling inside the skin that is required to put together my Wisper. I love the Pakboat's removable deck -- expect it will be great for packing for trips. The kayak is very comfortable with the generous suspended seat, inflatable thigh support and wraparound backband. He's 5' 9". around 185 # and was able to enter the cockpit butt first and swing in his legs easily. The boat paddles impressively. It tracks well and is very responsive to paddle or leaned turns. It's faster than you would expect it to be per its appearance. He was able to keep up with me in my Feathercraft with ease and I can usually keep pace with most "hard" boaters.

It's tougher than it looks and bounced off some boulders we encountered on a Class I section of the Susquehanna were we took it on it's maiden voyage without any visible damage. At 39 pounds it was easy to load and haul. By all reports from folks I've talked to that own this boat, it is competent even in open ocean and having seen how it is built and how it performs I would not hesitate to take it out in such waters.

I expect we will have many great trips with this boat and would highly recommend it for anyone seeking an affordable, versatile and highly portable boat.