Submitted: 08-12-2010 by dregsfan

I wanted some outriggers so I could sail my Hobie Adventure in some higher winds. Other than building something yourself, the Hobie SideKicks are about the cheapest kayak outriggers around. I would have preferred the Spring Creek set-up. Their ama's are actually roto-molded with colors nearly matching my Hobie. But they start at $328. $393 if you want the hardware powder-coated. If they were $100 cheaper, I would have gone that route. Instead, I ended up buying the SideKicks for $132.

The installation was challenging with the Adventure, as both access hatches were just a little to far from the mounting location I wanted. I did not use the included well-nuts, as I have read nothing but bad news on the forums, regarding them pulling out of the hull. I used stainless steel T-nuts in teak strips inside the hull.

The SideKick engineering is simple. The ama's have three height adjustments, which work the same as taking a two-piece paddle apart. Just push in the button and spin the aka's to the desired position. I'm not sure how durable the inflatable ama's will be. They are just heavy vinyl. It would be nice if they had a nylon outer layer. A patch kit is included.

SideKicks are a must if you want to sail or stand while you fish. They aren't pretty, but they work well enough for me.