Submitted: 08-10-2010 by Brad

This is a review of the 16' Wenonah Aurora Royalex canoe. I was looking for an expedition quality boat that would be versatile enough for my son and I to enjoy whenever we had the time. This boat is exactly that. It transports easily on top of my 4Runner and at 67 pounds it is manageable on my shoulders for short portages. It tracks well, manages chop without complaint, and handles like a much smaller boat. I have been able to quickly pivot into waves close aboard without concern. I have noticed that the boat handles much better fully loaded because the reduced freeboard makes it less susceptible to crosswinds.

On one expedition, I used it alone and loaded with 400 pounds of gear and my own 6'4", 220 pounds. I was comfortable and she handled beautifully across a windy, choppy lake. On the return, I was actually headed into an oncoming storm and the boat was steady and reliable. At no time was I concerned about swamping.

When paddling alone, I reverse the boat and sit on the aft seat for better distribution of weight. When my 15 year old son and I are together, he sits fore and I sit aft. We have taken on cross currents and head on tides to raging success! The boat has always been reliable and Id buy another one in a heartbeat.