Submitted: 08-10-2010 by Big_Feet

I am 6' tall, 184 lbs and 12.5 size boots. I have 3 years of experience but consider myself a beginner. I had the opportunity to demo the CD Cypress more than once.

This is a well built kayak (typical of Current Design glass boats).
Hatches are dry and easy to open.
Gel coat is uniform and I found no defects in the boat.
The boat has a beautiful design with little rocker but nice water line.
Deck rigging is good.
Thigh braces are comfortable and the foot pegs are easy to adjust.
The foredeck has enough room for a 6' tall with big feet. The boat is not as low on the water as I expected from CD recommended weight.
Primary stability is low (to be expected from a 22' with 17 feet). Secondary is good. It is well balance and responsive.
The boat edges nicely on command. The snug fit makes it feel like part of my body and I feel like driving a sports car.

I have not taken it to the open ocean. I am curious to see if I like it more than the Gulfstream out in the open. The Cypress is excellent for playing around and it has good acceleration. The speed is good for its size (better than the Gulfstream but less than the larger CD Infinity, ND. Explorer, Maeltrom. Vaag and CD Solstice GTS). It feels a little like a more specialized boat. I didn't roll the boat but I am looking forward to do so. The Cypress tracks well for a boat this short.

The draw back for me is the back band (as the Gulfstream and Infinity). Very uncomfortable and it does not stay in place. I think there are inferior brands with a better system. The foot pegs are easy to adjust but I do not think they have the quality of the Nimbus or Maeltrom Kayaks. I have rented a few CD (specially the Sirocco) and some of them fail under pressure and the boats are not that old.

Very nice boat but I do not recommended for long tours unless you are a smaller paddler (less than 6'). CD recommended paddler range (120 - 160 lbs) and they were right. At 180 lbs it would limit my cargo and will affect an assisted rescue.

I'll keep testing this boat because I am not sure I'll buy it even though it is small for me. If you want to play around this is a good toy to do so.