Submitted: 08-02-2010 by xaos29

First, I will cover the good things about the Fusion 124. Many have stated the kayak tracks well, and I would agree. Many have stated the kayak is extraordinarily stable under real river conditions, and I would agree. Many have mentioned the kayak is good for beginners looking to break into the hobby, and I would agree. Lastly, many reviewers have stated the low price point presents an affordable alternative to other manufacturers' offerings, and I would agree.

Now for the bad. Future Beach no longer makes this model of kayak, and Dick's Sporting Goods is selling their old stock. This does not fill me with confidence when looking for either accessories or parts. I have bought two of these kayaks in one week. The first Fusion 124 was a disappointment; the third time out, in the middle of a stroke, the right foot pad snapped. I returned it to Dick's, and got an orange Fusion to replace the blue one (good idea, given the copious amounts of PWC and motor boats on the Hudson River). The second kayak has the seat screws falling out, and there is no way to tighten them; the rubber covered brass fittings are stripped after one outing. Every stroke results in me getting drenched, so I bought a spray skirt; now water pools where the zipper pouch is. Adding insult to injury, I'm reading in the reviews that people have purchased the same Future Beach kayak for less at Dick's than I paid. Grrr!