Submitted: 07-28-2010 by Vern

I've been an avid kayaker for a number of years, mostly flat water. I have an Old Town 138 Loon and a couple of 111 Loons for the kids. I recently purchased a Pungo 120. I bought the boat at the Mountain Man Store in Old Forge NY. You can test paddle the boats on the Moose River right in back of the store. I test paddled both the 12' and 14'Pungos.

Both boats have extremely comfortable seats that are about as adjustable as one could have in a kayak. Like the Old Towns, the Pungos have a very large cockpit. I've often paddled with a dog or second person in front of me. The Pungo's come with a removable dashboard that's very handy. Both Pungos paddled straight however the 14' was much harder to turn. The 120 Pungo is also harder to turn compared to the 138 Loon however not so difficult that a novice would have a lot of problems.

The 120 Pungo tracks straight and is fast for a 12' boat. If I have any complaints at all, is that the 120 Pungo has a very low bow. I recently had the boat in a lake with 1'-1.5' waves and the bow would bury itself in the wave and the water would travel down the front deck and dump into the cockpit. It was a good thing I was near shore as I only lasted about 10 minutes in those waves before I had a boat full of water.

Would I buy the 120 Pungo again? You bet. Just know that it has its limitations in rough water. (You could wear a skirt although I didn't buy one with the boat)