Submitted: 07-28-2010 by JB

My wife and I each have a Tomahawk 13. We started to kayak 5 years ago and the easy entry, affordability and the stability of the boat made us choose this one. We have been paddling ever summer as much as we could and got real enjoyment and use out of these boats.

On the positive side:
Huge cockpit with super easy entry and exit.
Super stable.
The boats are inexpensive.
The boats are almost indestructible.

On the negative side:
In windy conditions you got to know/learn how to paddle because the kayak wants to turn into the wind big time. At the beginning I found this very frustrating and hard work. But I guess it made me a better paddler.
I find the foot rests very uncomfortable especially if I paddle more than one hour. Due to the wide hull of the boat the foot in a leaning in an outward position. My biggest complaint about this boat!
The seats are also very basic and my behind hurts after an hour or so.
The hull of the boat is very porous and gets very dirty when stored outside which is what we do during the summer. The dirt really gets in the hull and it is impossible to clean completely.
There are no leg braces and it is difficult to get a good connection with the boat and if feels like sitting in a bath tub.
In windy condition there is a lot of splashing.
The bulkhead is not at all watertight and water is actually building up in them.
The workmanship of this boat is really very rudimentary and rough.

Conclusion:
Despite the negative comments we really enjoyed these boats and they have been great for learning to paddle and to find out if we like the sport. But now I can't wait to get a real kayak.