Submitted: 07-26-2010 by Dave

This is an update to the review I posted on 9-2-09.
This past June I took the Indy on a 10-day solo trip in the Boundary Waters. I spent several days on Lac La Croix, which is known for its big waves. The biggest waves I encountered were about 8" high and the Indy bobbed through them like a cork.

In these and all other conditions the boat handled beautifully with a load. I paddled it kneeling, with a 10-20 degree heel, and it tracked and turned smoothly and predictably. The boat shone brightest on some twisty rivers where a straight-tracking boat would have trouble negotiating the tight turns.

I moved the seat back about 8 inches and the bow thwart forward about a foot, so I had plenty of space to move my main pack for trimming. However, that was usually unnecessary, since the Indy seems to be fairly insensitive to winds up to about 15 mph.

I also have a Wenonah Prism and will have a hard time choosing which boat to take on my next solo trip. The Indy is more versatile and allows me to paddle on the same side for as long as I want.

I have to say, among the half-dozen or more solo canoes I've owned, the Independence is the most versatile. If I could have only one solo, this would be it.

NOCQUA Adventure Gear: