Submitted: 07-21-2010 by rolff

I have owned, paddled and fished many sit on top yaks for the last decade. The P13 was my first yak and the only one I have not either traded or sold. The newer yaks designed primarily for fishing have better designed cockpits for fishing gear and such, and many make the P13 look downright ancient by comparison. However, I am yet to paddle a yak that provides the security on open water become very rough that is a characteristic of the old P13.

Get caught in horrible chop and wind and the P13 will bring you home with confidence every time. It has the best secondary stability of any yak I have had experience with and it is tough as nails. I stuffed swimming pool noodles in the gunnels just for added security, but I have yet to get a drop of water in the hull even after horrid weather conditions. Primary stability is also excellent as well. Unless you are out in seas with strong currents, you do not need a rudder to go where you want to go, and the P13 will glide almost forever it seems. I fish the bays of Southwest Louisiana where there is heavy tugboat and barge traffic accompanied by considerable waves and wakes. The P13 handles them as if they were not really there in the first place.

A number of yak fishing colleagues who own far sexier and more recently designed yaks have often sold their modern yaks and purchased a P13 after giving my old P13 a test paddle. I am 63, 200 pounds, fit and love to yak fish: I have a Prowler Big Game which I like as well, but the P13 is easier for me to load by myself. Save for paddling in horrible sea conditions, the P13 is not truly great at any one thing, but it does almost everything else quite well indeed.

The purpose of this very latent P13 review is to share my experience and conclusions with the rapidly growing body of men and women interested in yak fishing, particularly saltwater yak fishing. Install a high end comfortable seat and the P13 is very hard to beat for safety, endurance and price. It will not disappoint.