Submitted: 07-20-2010 by brokenarrowjbe
Recently picked up a used Zephyr and am transitioning fron SOT to SInK, First, I am 5'10" and weigh about 230 lbs. This kayak was the best fit for me after test paddling several kayaks. Would agree with previous comments on foot braces, easy to adjust, are flimsy feeling when applying pressure for turns, braces, etc. However, they have not broken either. Just don't feel secure.

The thigh braces are a nice touch, being easy to adjust. I would have preferred the seat to be a little lower, feels "high" to me. I don't know if it came with different inserts for the hip braces, but I found the ones that came with the kayak irritating and just took them out. The pressure on the spotthey hit on my left hip was putting pressure on a nerve and my left leg and foot went numb, after hip brace removal, no longer an issue.

I would rate it higher, but this is the only Sit inside I have paddled for more than a one trip. The others were nice, I almost went with the Nighthawk, but this kayak just fit me better and the seat was way more comfortable. The numbness took a lot longer to set in and is now apparently fixed.

All in all, if you are looking for a big man kayak, try it out. The hatches did leak a little, but not enough for me to care, a rag easily absorbs the water in one pass. Turning and edging feel very intuitive. After several test runs to get comfortable, I will soon be heading out into the Gulf for open water trips.