Submitted: 07-15-2010 by docscott

We had a pair of these Keowees for some seven years and enjoyed the immensely, kayaking coastal waters, lakes, swamps and rivers in RI and CT. They are extremely stable, maneuverable, durable, and light too. By By Canoe! It's fun, fun, fun from here on.

Well...Got a pup and riding on back didn't last long as fast she grew. Got a Twin Otter 14' for me and the growing pooch. "Wait for me!" soon became a common noise in the distance. Herein lies one down-side to the Keowee: It just isn't as fast as the longer kayaks. It's simply one of those facts of life for a displacement vessel. So, my wife gets a new and longer Perception America 13' 4". The other down-side is it tracks poorly in general and worse in windy and tidal conditions.

Actually, I wish we hadn't parted with them. They would be perfect to get our grandchildren into kayaking and they are much better for small rivers/streams.
I highly recommend the Keowee for what it is and especially for beginners.