Submitted: 07-30-2000 by StevenJ

I greatly enjoyed paddling a rented plastic capella, which was the best plastic boat I've ever paddled. It was smooth, with good glide and good speed. Very responsive, and the skeg worked well to add significant tracking, but adds some drag also (of course). I didn't feel any need for a rudder. The hatch covers were terrific and the bulkheads looked *way* better than other plastic boats. The boat also felt less heavy than boats such as Looksha IV and Sealoution II, but I didn't weigh it. After a few hours, the seat really matters. The seat had a non-standard Formula backband, it was the most comfortable seat in any plastic kayak I've paddled, by far (WS, Necky, Dagger, Perception, Prijon).

We went on Pamlico River and into Pamlico Sound (NC) on a day when the wind kicked up some and it rained a bit. I enjoyed the ride, which is a tribute to the way the boat handle the chop. Another day, we fooled around on a windy lake and again on a calm lake. On the first tip, there was a small problem with water coming in to the rear compartment from underneath where the skeg pivot met the plastic skeg mount. The boat had been dropped off a car at an earlier point in its life, and this may have caused that leak. I took the liberty of repairing this in the field with some marine caulk, which did the trick completely. Hatches were totally dry after that. There is a little tendency to yaw, especially if you place your paddle away from the boat. Some people may want a boat with more tracking, but I think you would then give up some of the wonderful handling and feel.

Sealline: