Submitted: 07-12-2010 by samelnyk
Before entering into the review, let me give some background. I have paddled numerous kayaks. Currently, I own a CD Gulfstream, caribou S, solstice, a VCP Aquanaut, and 2 Feathercrafts. I have paddled numerous other boats, but this one tops the list as one of the worse. I realize that it is a specialized boat aimed at exercise but that does not excuse what I feel is poor design.

First of all, the kayak is designed for exercise. Fine, however, that does not excuse certain design features. For example, there is no rigging in front of the cockpit. This rigging would have been useful for storing hydration packs. Even having a day hatch a la Cletus would have been useful. Second, the boat has very low primary stability. This is unusual given that the boat has a 23 inch beam. I have paddled boats with 21 inch beams that have far better primary stability. Third, this boat needs either a skeg or a rudder. This boat has an extremely bad tendency to weathercock in any form of wind or wave.

During a recent paddle in very moderate waves and wind (something that my other boats would have handled well), the boat wanted to go its own. I simply gave up paddling just to see what it would do. Well, it swung around -- driven by the wind and waves. Lets see -- poor design, poor primary stability, excessive windcocking -- not good. That's why this boat rates a 6.