Submitted: 07-09-2010 by wavespinner
I was looking for a boat to slot between my voluminous tripper and straight keeled speed merchant. I'm of average male height and a little above the mean in weight. Extensive experience and boat ownership.

The candidates were the Avocet, Romany, Delphin and Capella. The decisive factor was a killer deal on a Capella from a cash hungry dealer, but I believe it turned out to be the best choice for me, anyway. I owned a plastic version a few years ago and this is a horse of a different color. Noticeably livelier.

First impressions. P&H quality is top drawer. The boat is point n' shoot give it the proper input and it just does whats asked. Felt like I was sitting a tad high. Beautiful lines.

It's a nimble boat. Speed is adequate, but not blazing. Always a tradeoff. It's easy to edge or roll and handles wind and waves from all directions. Intermediate to advanced paddlers will be most satisfied with this Capella.

The deck rigging and hatch configurations are fine for my usage. The pop-on day hatch isn't the easiest access is rough water. The moderate volume, day hatch compartment and skeg box mean I'm not selling my tripper. The aft deck bar is handy for towing or security.

The highlight of the cockpit is the footpegs. They can be adjusted underway. The backband is stiff and a little high. That hasn't been an issue since the boat rolls so easily without much layback. I find the pronounced center ridge of the seat pad uncomfortable with its bra effect ("lift and separate"). The thigh braces aren't adjustable, adding to the need to glue in some knee blocking. The skeg operates adequately and is effective. The cockpit opening is on the small side and I'm not leaping out for surf landings or sticking cowboy rescues.

A very good candidate to test if quality, agility and all-seas capability are high on your list of criteria.