Submitted: 07-07-2010 by pungmango

I've owned my Pungo 140 for 3 summers now, and use it 2 or 3 times per week for exercise, and to get out on the water. I like its stability, ease of exit & entry, and that it has plenty of room for my legs. At 6'3" I wanted something I could get into & out of easily & this kayak is a breeze. I use it exclusively on lakes & ponds in northern New England for short day excursions.

Mine is a leftover 2006 model, and it doesn't have the dashboard, which would be nice. I bought a miniskirt for it soon after purchase, and I feel this is a necessity. Waves don't break into the cockpit, and water from the paddle blades doesn't drip in either. It's also nice to shade your legs in mid-day sun or to pull up on a cold spring or fall paddle.

I've never had a problem with the hatches, nor with the bulkhead leaking. As for stability, I love taking it out on lakes on windy days and bobbing around, mini-surfing in 3' or 4' waves. It's not the fastest nor lightest recreational kayak, but a 14' boat usually isn't.

Oh, the seat is pretty good, too. I have chronic back pain, so am careful about what I do lifting, twisting, sitting, etc. I've found that by changing the back angle, the seat pad angle, the foot bracing, etc, I can keep my back from getting too mad at me. I don't know if there's a better system, but this is very good, and has kept me going when I thought I'd have to quit due to back strain.

I've decided to go with a touring kayak, so am selling this to buy a Tsunami. I hope I won't regret it, but feel after 3 yrs that a touring kayak is where I should go.

If you want a stable boat for getting out to fish, paddle on lakes, or for short camping trips, this is a great boat. I give it a 9, only because I don't give 10's very often.

Silverfish