Submitted: 07-01-2010 by avigdor
This is one great paddle! Having upgraded from a Capella 166 to a QCC 700 last summer I found my trusty Werner Shuna was no longer "up to the job." After considerable research and several test paddles, I purchased a Mitchell Black Magic. I couldn't be more pleased. For starters, this is a good looking paddle. The laminate wood shaft and carbon fiber blades provides exceptional balance with a very light swing weight. It feels good in your hands and the wooden shaft provides just the right amount of flex. These are full sized blades that provides a firm catch and generate considerable power in every stroke. Yet blade entry and exit is smooth and quiet. The blades are fixed at a 60 degree feather which is my personal preference. It performs the more technical strokes, braces and draws with great finesse (my bow rudder never felt better). The icing on the cake - a combination of low paddle weight, perfect balance and the right amount of flex translates into discomfort free shoulders after a full day of paddling. This is not a "cheap date" paddle but it is worth the price tag.