Submitted: 06-25-2010 by wsj

OK, I'm probably not really qualified to review this boat but I did just buy one to supplement my OT Loon 138 tandem (duck hunting boat for me & Lab) and replace a single seat Loon 138 that I bought to keep up with the girlfriend's new Impex Sea Breeze. It did, but was just too heavy.

We looked at the Lincoln's last year while on vacation in Maine, and while they didn't have anything that suited her, I was struck by the Chebeague. I happened on a clearance 2006 model at Blue Mountain Outfitters in Marysville,PA; talked to them about it last year and bought it this year. I can recommend them as nice people do deal with and for having a VERY fully equipped store.

I've paddled the boat 4 times now, once on flat, still water and the rest on Lake Ontario in mild, barely white capping waves. It seemed just almost twitchy the first time out and I almost twitched myself into the lake by over controlling it. But after a bit more seat time it's settling in and my confidence is increasing. From everything I've read it's typical new and improved boat adjustment.

I managed to turn it nicely a few times and had zero trouble paddling it into, across, and downwind with a steady 15-20 mph breeze. It seemed pretty fast, although I really had no comparison.

Going again tomorrow and Saturday but with some other boaters this time so I'll get their opinions of it and see if it keeps up with other light touring boats. I rolled it over a half dozen times to see how a wet exit would be and it was stone simple. Next, putting the skirt on and figgering out how to roll it back upright.

It's got a wonderfully comfortable seat and, in my VERY limited use, a pretty comfortable backband. And maybe the best thing about it besides the weight is that nobody seems to ever have seen or heard of one before. Cool.
The learning continues...