Submitted: 06-22-2010 by Senecabypass

I have owned the Remix XP-10 for just over a year. Overall, a great sturdy boat. I use it mostly on the Potomac River, in rapids(I to II+) and calm water above Great Falls. Although I have one or two issues, I really like the boat. It's stable, maneuverable, tough, and a good design for extended downriver excursions - especially on the Potomac, Shenandoah, Cacapon, Rappahannock and other rivers and creeks in the area.

My issues with the boat stem from how LL designed the boat based on it's whitewater lineage.
1) The boat tracks straight in calm water with the skeg down. However, you'll be pushing a lot of water as you move along. This is the result of a blunt shaped bow. A more angled bow would alleviate this, but you would loose some whitewater prowess. It's a conundrum, and I agree with LL to go with the current design. Still, when I get moving on flat water, I kick up a wake and fellow paddlers can hear me coming.
2) My biggest problem has to deal with the intended purpose of the boat and it's effect spray-skirts. Without a whitewater sealed skirt, the gunwales take in a lot of water, especially ferrying across rapids. Do this too long, take in too much water and the boat become sluggish or sinks.

However, if you are using the boat recreationally to tool around the river on a hot summer's day, being enclosed in a black sprayskirt becomes VERY hot and uncomfortable. Also, being that the boat is larger, it becomes more difficult to roll. If you are a beginner, or are not physically adept to rolling - this is an issue.

The other boats in this class - Pyranha and Dagger - don't have this problem (low gunwales) to this extent. Then again, they are not as good (in quality and performance) as the Remix. The ideal solution would be to have an "open river skirt" that compensates for the low gunwales, but is open on top for easy entry and exit, and is cool enough for hot days.