Submitted: 06-22-2010 by reddypa

Am about to take my 8 year old on his first overnighter and for the first time I will have a boat mate that can't split the cost of our rental! Time to buy a canoe.

I needed something < $600 and found this canoe very lightly used for $500. Was looking for an OT 158 or 169 but couldn't find one in my price range.

Have only had this one on flat water as a test run and so far I'm very pleased. I am 6'3" and 245 lbs. The rear seat, as others have mentioned, is tiny - my back end barely squeezes in and I wonder what a 3 day trip will be like. I do have plenty of leg room and can paddle easily even with someone int he middle seat. The canoe is kind of heavy, but no heavier than the Coleman I'm used to toting around. All-in-all, I really like the speed, tracking,and stability. Maneuvering is yet to be seen, but so far, on the lake, it seemed to do just fine for the Missouri and Arkansas streams I float.

I will drill drain holes, too. One more thing to note is that the curved gunwales reduce the interior width considerably.