Submitted: 07-26-2000 by yuri

An excellent high-capacity big water canoe. The design is another variation from John Winters (see the Kipawa and Winisk for similar canoes from him) and I must say, it is an excellent all-around performer.

I recently did an 8 day trip involving big lakes with some river paddling. The Quetico easily handled all of the waves, most in a manner that meant we really didn't notice them. My Kevlar Ultralight layup weighs 52 lbs. so it is a very easy carry on portages. However, I would not recommend this layup for heavier paddlers (over 200lbs) or those planning lots of whitewater since it is quite flexible and probably not nearly as robust as the expedition layup. With heavier paddlers some oilcanning and flexing in the seat areas is noticeable.

The canoe is significantly faster than the Kipawa and somewhat faster than the Winisk. It turns well since it has a fair amount of rocker towards the ends.

The trim is excellent (I have aluminum gunwales and cherry everywhere else) and love the newly redesigned seats. All in all, I am very happy with Swift's work and quality.